Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas Vacation!

Ahh, the holiday season. What an amazing time of the year. You have holidays for everybody, whether it be Hanukkah (or if you prefer "Chanukkah") for the Jewish people, Ramadan for the Islamic people, and Christmas for the Christian people (and pretty much 99.9% of the entire non-Christian world). Oh, did I mention that Jesus was born around here, too? Well, I, myself, am Christian. Well, I'm Filipino so I guess that makes me Christian by default... or Muslim. I hear there are a few Filipino Muslims, but I've yet to meet them. Anyway, since I'm Christian I celebrate Christmas! (boy, was that hard to find out!) This day, little children open their presents sent to them by some fat man in tight furry clothes carrying a cheap bag who comes (pun unintended) d0wn their chimneys to eat their hot cookies. (again, pun unintended) Men and women get together to celebrate their relationships while hiding the leftover cookies they "stashed for Santa". Family, once again, comes together from all parts of the San Fernando county or, if you're lucky, the next room down the hall. Chestnuts roast in an open fire contained in an unstable brick crevice fueled by gifted fruitcake when your aunt turns away, the Christmas tree glows with its bargain priced "$10 for 2" lighting that looks quite familiar as if you've seen the exact same lights hung along your neighbor's gutter right out the window, a star (star of David if you're Jewish) (a star of David if you're a stupid Christian) placed gently atop the power-consuming tree that stinks of the outdoors and leaks water at its base, and white snow falls outside blocking your car from leaving the prison of your December family reunion (my dad's a lucky California bastard, ain't he?). The most beautiful sight, however, is the familiar miniature stable containing a man, a woman, and her newborn child surrounded by animals showing what the holiday is really about: alcohol.

Oh, and there's that Jesus thing, too.

No comments: