Sunday, November 18, 2007

Outdone

Bah, I haven't posted here in a while. I guess I've been too busy... Okay, you got me. I've been lazy, but now I am here to post! I've been meaning to post this story before, so here goes.

---

One Sunday night, I was being dragged around by my father on his little business meetings. Well, skipping to the point, the man that he was talking to brought his kids along with him. There was an older sister, and a younger brother, both of which no older than 7.

I don't want to come off as cynical, but these kids were the most obnoxious spawns of evil. We were sitting in a booth at CPK, and I had the pleasure of sitting across the table from them. The table was short, and I was just in range of the little boy's leg span. He took his kid's menu and started scribbling on it with a black pen. I couldn't help to notice that he was staring at me as he doodled all over it, so I tried to avert my gaze. At the corner of my eye, I saw the boy stop drawing. I turned my head away even more, which was a bit foolish, as the next second he started stabbing at my head with the pen. His other hand was pointing at me, and he kept screaming, "Who is this, mommy?! Who is this, mommy?!"

His mom told him to stop as his big sister just laughed at me. He stopped, but the next moment his sister started whispering loudly in his ear. "Say that he's weird!"

"You're weird!"

The constant insults kept coming, from me being weird to stupid. Their mom got angry and told them to stop. Their dad, however, told them that I was smart. Sure, it sounds nice, but it gave them a new method to annoy me.

"What's 100 plus 10?!"

They kept giving me these simple math problems that even I could solve. Yeah, they were that easy. I was utterly annoyed at how stupid they made me out to me. I am a bit dumb, don't get me wrong, but these kids were pushing it. They gave me all of these problems and I'd solve them. Honestly, these kids couldn't possibly outsmart me, I thought. I spoke too soon.

Well, they gave up testing my arithmetic, but the big sister wasn't done. She took our a little cube puzzle made of thick felt. She told me to solve it. Easy, I thought. I fit the pieces together, but I couldn't get more than two pieces to fit together. Within seconds, I was mesmerized. It took several minutes for me to finally solve it.

When I did get everything together, the girl took the puzzle, scrambled it. "Watch," she said. She put each piece of the puzzle together, making no mistakes. I felt more stupid than ever, but I couldn't help but laugh at myself. I had to admit...

They surprised me.

No comments: